Braised Swiss Chard with Bacon
I adapted this recipe from Bon Appetit's Braised Swiss Chard with Bacon and Hot Sauce recipe around Christmas-time and it came out amazing. I'm probably forgetting some steps, but this was basically it.
- 2 large bunches rainbow/swiss chard (kale or collard green will probably also work)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped into lardons
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- Separate the stems from the leaves. Tear the leaves and cut the stems into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Cook the bacon until brown and crisp (7-10 mins).
- Add the shallot and cook until translucent/softened (3-5 mins).
- Add the garlic and chard stems.
- Cook until the chard stems are cooked (should be crispy, tender, and pretty tasty)
- Add vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Add the leaves and handful at a time, letting them wilt before adding more.
- Stir / toss to coat with the liquid mixture.
- Season with salt and freshly cracked pepper.