More Random Cooking Tips
...because I forgot some and I may want to remember these ones later too.
- If you need to squeeze the juice of a lemon into a dish that can't tolerate seeds, either put your hand under it to catch the seeds or squeeze it into something else. (Don't try to fish the seeds out from the dish.)
- When boiling pasta, it should be salty "like the sea". Use lots of sea salt and lots of water.
- Use pasta water (after it's been boiling for awhile) to season pasta sauces (cheese, tomato, etc.). It's salty and starchy.
- Hold a chef's knife by pinching the blade and wrapping your hand around the handle. Don't put your finger on top of the blade.
- Keep knives sharp.
- Adding butter to finish meats at the end of a saute (or a pan fry or whatever chef-esque term you might use) can be quite nice.
- If a dish only has a few ingredients, make sure they're good ingredients.